Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Married A Gamer

I knew when I started dating my husband that he liked video games.  We almost fought all the time over the game World Of Warcraft that he played religiously after school/in his free time.  Two years of dating the one thing that remained the same was his love for games.  He changed his major 3 times to get to his major now (computer science) and it was worth it.  He will be graduating on May 4th 2012 with his bachelors.  We are so relieved and excited to see the end of it near. Until the last week....

Our backup plan of graduate school was definitely only a backup plan.  He has been looking for jobs and had two he 'almost' got (he was beaten out by someone with more experience).  The economy isn't want it used to be that is for sure.  I think we both knew graduate school was a large possibility, we just didn't want to think about school anymore!  My dream was for him to have a decent job when he graduated, get good health insurance, I could have the option to stay at home, we could actually save money, ect.  Instead, we are back to square one with him trying to find a job that pays well enough, making sure we can get loans, and figuring out our schedules to who gets June when.  Given a year or two ago I would have been furiously taking it out on Baca.  Now I am at least grateful to have a plan.  As frustrating as it is to do the scheduling and praying for finances to add up, my lovely husband works harder than anyone else in his class (and probably program).  He is passionate and is great at what he does.  The past couple of months, John coming home from school at 2-3 in the morning has been routine.  I don't know how he gets up the same morning and takes care of June!

So, as of right now John is going to do graduate school starting Fall of 2012 in the EAE Graduate Program.  It is a 2 year program, and classes thankfully will only be Mon, Tues, and Wed starting at 1.  This will give me a chance to just do a switch off with John on those days with my work (I am hoping anyway).  I am extremely grateful for my husband.  He is doing this for our future and I am jealous that he has found his passion and is going for it.  I truly admire him.  All I can say is thank you for working so hard in what you do.  You will make it one day and I will be right behind you <3

2 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

So I have been wanting to comment on your post ever since I read it a while back. I know this was a tough decision. You both have incredible endurance. I remember when I graduated, you would have had to pay me lots of money to turn right back around and start another degree. I know you have been looking forward to being able to step down from the breadwinner role, too. But I am proud of both of you for sticking with it, considering the big picture, and making this all work. Someday in the future, you will look back and say, "Thank goodness. That was crazy, but it was worth it!" Love you guys!