Sunday, July 22, 2012

California- The Good Life

Here we are, in sunny California.  2 miles from the beach, 70 degree weather, anything you want or can think of- is here.  I am still adjusting to being a stay at home mom, it is very different.  I am glad to start over in a new place, be close to some family, and have the opportunity to be with the bug more!

It was a very hectic move!  John and I ended up going straight to California after we drove out to Vegas for two days.  So, we went to Vegas, then to California.  We had one day together in Cali so Baca and I can look at apartments.  We got to see about 3 apartments, and we ended up jumping on the one we are at.  It is a nice little area, all gated, 2 bed 2 bath.  It took some calls and a lot of emails to secure the apartment but John was in the place in a couple of days.  I flew out the next day to start packing up our place.  It was just June and I at home, and I had to pack up our place.  I was positive-at first. I had to go to work for a couple of hours to help train the new girl.  I really miss the people I worked with, it was so fun to be apart of that small company.  Thankfully the new girl caught on pretty quick and I finished working there with in a couple of days.

 Packing for me is not the fastest process.  Susel helped clean out all the junk and pack a bit.  Time flew by and the moving company dropped off the trailer.  It was the type of company that you pack it, they ship it (and you unpack it).  The only problem was that this was a semi trailer...parked in our little parking lot.  It took up 3 spaces.  It was nerve racking.  I had a few neighbors on my side and one very grouchy neighbor.  Later that day, I got a visit from my landlord.  It was not pretty (and not horribly ugly) but it was my breaking point.  I call Baca and I held back tears.  After he hung up the phone he texted asking if I was crying.  I said I was having a hard time, which was def true.  30 minutes later he calls saying his work will fly him out that day so he can help me pack.  I would fly back with him the next day as well. I felt bad but I really needed the help.  The shipping company was picking up the trailer the next morning, it had to be done by then.  He got a flight out but it got delayed, instead of being in by 7, his flight got delayed and he was in at 10pm.  We didn't finish packing until 3 am.  Happy neighbors?  At that point we didn't care!

We said our quick goodbyes and got on the flight.  Since I had left earlier than planned, our stuff was getting to our new apartment later the next WEEK.  All we had was a pack and play, a king size mattress pad, and a cooler.  Apparently in California, you buy your own fridge when you rent.  WHAT?  So crazy.  We found a fridge after a few days and a week later we get our stuff.  Having a bishop for a brother in law came in handy, we had help to unpack and it took all of 2 hours to get our stuff in a Uhaul, then to our apartment (we had to park the giant trailer at my sisters b/c it couldn't be parked on the street where our apartment is- oh yes, very fun).

During this time my mom was visiting to help my sister Robin.  She was due with her 4th baby.  I think Robin was due around May 21st, all in the midst of many things going on.  On our second day in LA, I was driving home and I look in the rear view to find June having a seizure.  It was the second time she has had one, but this time I didn't have my RN sis in law holding her.  I pulled over and held her on her side while calling 911. Since this was a first time for me handling this, it was an all new experience.  We got to ride in an ambulance (the fastest way to get around in LA!  ahha) to the hospital and wait for 5 hours to get Tylenol to help with her fever.  It was a long night but all was good.  Come to find out she was still sick after that, she had a fever and one day I noticed a rash on her bum.  Then it spread down her legs.  After trying to wait it out a little bit thinking it might have been heat rash, we found it was Hand Foot and Mouth.  It made sense, she had stopped eating, breaking out, and had a fever for a long couple of days.  The doc said all we could do was wait it out.  After that went away, another wave of fun came along.  I got sick, with a fever and chills.  I had a rough several days, waking up in a ball of sweat, night chills, and then the coughing... I coughed for 3-4 weeks.  I lost some sleep and even when I went to the doc, there was nothing that came up.  No strep or anything else.  I thought I had whooping cough b/c when I had a hard cough I would cough so hard I almost puked.  That was a scary thought with me being around my sisters newborn.  But again, all was well and it eventually went away.

 June playing on the beach :)
 June and Titus playing outside


John got thrown into the fire when starting work.  It was 12 hour days and just Sundays off.  That is how it has been since the beginning.  Now he is adding some more  hours on to that for a game that has to be shipped in about 20 more days.  He is being stretched thin, and our sanity is both being tested!  The good thing is we are paying off a little debt and can afford our bills.  I am so grateful that he is working and getting his career going.  He has worked so hard!  June is doing wonderful, she is growing and talking a lot more.  She looooooves being with her cousins.  SO thankful she is getting some socialization.  We miss our family and friends in UT and hope to visit on Holidays!

1 comment:

Tyson said...

I'm so glad you blog. I love keeping up-to-date with you all. You have a wonderful family and deserve the best!